Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Offset Reference Ranges - "Will it Fit?"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    Speed,
    I'm lowered to 605mm and was wondering what I may be able to handle without rolling the fenders. Are the above offset's doable except where noted with cutting and rolling?
    I’d like to get as fat as I can without hitting anything. Any idea what the max was for the inside of the wheel to the strut housing? Maybe I'll have to get up in the wheel well and see if I will be able to measure that distance.
    OK. Let me try to answer this in parts. In some cases, I'm not sure if you are asking about the front or back so I'll give you both from what I know or measured.

On my vaca, back in July, I got in the fender wells as best as I could with a tape measure and yard stick to see "what we're playin' with."

On the front, where you have the coilover struts, you'd be lucky if you could add 1/2" to the inside of the tire width before rubbing the strut assembly. It's tight. Max tire width (assuming non-lowered AND stock offset) you get in there is a 255. Anything wider in tire width or rim width, you will want to push the tire outward toward the fender - in other words - lessen the positive offset from like +48 to +40 or +38. For example, the Intense front's of 265 wide tires on 9.5" wide rims were pushed outward with a +34 offset.

Especially on a lowered car, you really don't want to Increase the overall diameter of your wheel/tire setup. This will just compound possible problems with fender lips or over bumps with weight, etc.

On the rear, you have more to play with. From the inside fender well to the inside edge (tucked) of the fender lip, you have about 11.75 of width space (298mm). The fender lip itself adds about another .875" of metal width before you then reach the exterior edge of the fender lip (320mm total). I have done a ton of research on just how wide you can go in the back and it looks like (with the right offset), you can easily get a 275 in there, 285 should be no issue too, and I personally believe I may try to put a 295 in there on mine. It's going to be tight without modifications and I'm not lowered yet. NOTE: this is not tucked! Will explain below.

There are two main and related things to watch out for in the rear. The first is that there seems to be what I'll call a "Questionable Area" of about .500-.625" on the inside of the fender well. I would avoid this area and get no closer to this area unless you want to cut and modify like the Intense car did. That area is where the fender well bump out is for the rear shock and where that brake line connector is that Intense modified. Without modifying this area, you have to choose rim widths and offsets carefully to stay away from being that close or you will hit it or rub it.

The second thing to watch out for is the lip itself. Up until recently, I thought people with wide rear tires were rolling their fender lips so they could get their tires to "tuck" into the fender, not stick under or outside of the lip, and to not rub the inside edge of the fender lip. What I found out is that while that might be true in some cases, people with wide tires are allowing the rear tire outside edge to sit under the fender lip and therefore some people are rolling so that if they are lowered or a ton of weight is placed in the car the lip won't squat down on to the tire. Note: the curved shape of the outside edge of the tire and the rolled-upwards edge of the lip helps in this regard. In other words, if corners were square and sharp, you'd have bigger problems - people would be cutting fenders.

What I figured out on mine is that I will let the wide rear tire exist under the lip (but not outside of the fender like a matchbox car) because with a stock height tire, not lowered, and the tightness of the rear suspension, that fender lip is not going to come down and hit my tire unless I was doing something drastic like flying over a speedbump with three people in the back.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong but at 605mm, isn't the stock height about 660mm (I can't remember for sure) which means that you are lowered about 2"!!! If that's the case, I think anything that resides under the fender lip will rub without rolling. So if your question is what safely can fit in the rear to clear the "questionable zone" on the inside and tuck within the fender lip even though you are lowered....would be a 275 with a tough to find +57/58 offset. I have seen a couple of 9.5" wide rims with 56 & 57 offsets but I doubt I could find them again easily. What I can't tell you because I haven't looked closely yet is this: OK, so the 275s seem to be able to tuck with the right offset...But...with you lowered, what's up inside that fender well in the top that the tire might hit when weight comes pounding down on the back end of the car? I'm not sure. Then again, your lowered suspension might also be tighter and not have much travel, which would help in this case.

Again, please triple verify all my measurements. I don't want to be responsible for you buying tires that rub.

Hope that helps.
    R.I.P. Charlie

"Any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious." - Vince Lombardi

2009 G8 GT, MSM/Onyx, Prem, Mods: few......Dozen

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, much more than I was hoping for so thanks for the indepth answers.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedRacerX View Post
    On the front, where you have the coilover struts, you'd be lucky if you could add 1/2" to the inside of the tire width before rubbing the strut assembly. It's tight. Max tire width (assuming non-lowered AND stock offset) you get in there is a 255. Anything wider in tire width or rim width, you will want to push the tire outward toward the fender - in other words - lessen the positive offset from like +48 to +40 or +38. For example, the Intense front's of 265 wide tires on 9.5" wide rims were pushed outward with a +34 offset.
    I'm looking at these Forgestar's F05 real hard here and my options are 19x8.5 offsets from +32 to +47, 19x9.0 offsets from +26 to +50, & 19x10 offsets from +26 to +45.
    According to the Intense car, I should be able to get away with the 19x9.0 with a +34 offset up front. That would push me 2mm closer to the strut on the inside and 24mm out.
    On the rear, you have more to play with. From the inside fender well to the inside edge (tucked) of the fender lip, you have about 11.75 of width space (298mm). The fender lip itself adds about another .875" of metal width before you then reach the exterior edge of the fender lip (320mm total). I have done a ton of research on just how wide you can go in the back and it looks like (with the right offset), you can easily get a 275 in there, 285 should be no issue too, and I personally believe I may try to put a 295 in there on mine.
    What rim would a 285 tire sit on? Would the 19x10 work? I might try to go bigger in the back (is that what they call staggered?) but not sure because I do like having the ability of rotating my tires for longer life. I guess I could always just rotate from left to right if I really wanted to.

I don't want to play with the "Questionable Area" at all so I'm going to just stick with what is safe that others have done.
    What I figured out on mine is that I will let the wide rear tire exist under the lip (but not outside of the fender like a matchbox car) because with a stock height tire, not lowered, and the tightness of the rear suspension, that fender lip is not going to come down and hit my tire unless I was doing something drastic like flying over a speedbump with three people in the back.
    Are you planing on rolling the fender sense you will eventually lower your car?

Now, correct me if I'm wrong but at 605mm, isn't the stock height about 660mm (I can't remember for sure) which means that you are lowered about 2"!!!
    You are correct, the stock is at about 660mm.

If that's the case, I think anything that resides under the fender lip will rub without rolling. So if your question is what safely can fit in the rear to clear the "questionable zone" on the inside and tuck within the fender lip even though you are lowered....would be a 275 with a tough to find +57/58 offset. I have seen a couple of 9.5" wide rims with 56 & 57 offsets but I doubt I could find them again easily. What I can't tell you because I haven't looked closely yet is this: OK, so the 275s seem to be able to tuck with the right offset...But...with you lowered, what's up inside that fender well in the top that the tire might hit when weight comes pounding down on the back end of the car? I'm not sure. Then again, your lowered suspension might also be tighter and not have much travel, which would help in this case.
    With me being lowered already your saying my best bet is to get the fenders rolled? Bummer.
    Again, please triple verify all my measurements. I don't want to be responsible for you buying tires that rub.
    Don't worry, you have helped a lot. Just trying to see what I might try to get in the future. Sure wish we knew for sure what the max ranges were for stock and lowered cars.
    Last edited by Kermit; 12-29-2009 at 08:44 AM.
    2009 G8 GT MGM.
    Performance - 1900 MagnaCharger , Lunati Cam, RCR Ported Heads, Intake and TB, FAST #65 Injectors, CTS-v fuel pump, Kooks 1 3/4" LT and Catted X-Pipe, Pypes Violator Axel-Back, VCM OTR, RX Oil Catch Can, Pedders XA's & Track II Bushings, BMR Sub Frame Connectors, Sway Bars & Rear Control Arms, 19 Inch Staggered (8.5 front/9.5 Rear) VMR 810 Wheels, DBA 4000 Sloted Rotors with Hawk HPS Pads & Russels Brake Lines, Camaro 3.27 Diff, Gforce Axles.
    Cosmetic - Partially De-badged Rear, 6.0L Badges, Tinted Side, Rear Markers & Tail Lights, 35% Tint, Auto-dim Mirror, Spencers 6K 35W & 5K 25W Fog HIDS, Blacked Out Door Chrome, Vagas Nates 3 Gauge Pod W/Interceptor Gauges, Color Matched GXP Diffuser, Shark Fin Antenna, V-LEDs on Side/Rear Markers, Brakes & Back Ups Lights, MM Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler

1/4 mile 10.917 at 130.44mph 564 RWHP 568 Torque.

Post Thanks / Like

Spectacular work. Thank you for sharing your research. BIG time saver for me.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=SpeedRacerX;173478]IRear Wheels

8" 48 Stock is +48 (18" & 19")
    8.5" 42
    9.5" 35-57 Majority are 42-45
    10" 40-55 Majority are 45
    10.5" 46-47 50 seen now too.
    11" 54

QUOTE]

So does anyone have a 10" wheel with a 40-42mm offset they can send me a picture of? I am worried the wheels would stick to far out in the rear.

I know they "will fit" but like I said I am really picky on the look
    2009 G8

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by r33pwrd View Post
    IMO they will rub, you should be looking at +54 range

Just read today that the stock 20X9.5 rears are +56
    Trigger
    My Fully Loaded 08 Stealth Blue Pontiac G8 GT

There's always someone faster,
    they just don't look as good lol
    Rotofab/Cortex/BMR/Pedders/VMR/Adams/Brakes/OBX/Nitto

PRAISE THE LOWERED

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SRG963 View Post
    IMO they will rub, you should be looking at +54 range

Just read today that the stock 20X9.5 rears are +56
    I agree thats why I asked... but if im reading above correct people are saying you can run a 40?
    2009 G8

Post Thanks / Like

I agree thats why I asked... but if im reading above correct people are saying you can run a 40?
    You could run it but it will rub when lowered or loaded up.
    Last edited by SRG963; 01-25-2010 at 01:16 PM.
    Trigger
    My Fully Loaded 08 Stealth Blue Pontiac G8 GT

There's always someone faster,
    they just don't look as good lol
    Rotofab/Cortex/BMR/Pedders/VMR/Adams/Brakes/OBX/Nitto

PRAISE THE LOWERED

Post Thanks / Like

I think that's why the "majority" are +45 or higher.

Remember, some want to "tuck" and others don't mind if the tire sits under the lip and run the risk of rubbing under load or when lowered.

It was a ton of work to put this together; now I wish I had saved each picture to go with what I found.

Maybe the next time I can't sleep I'll try to find the posts with a 10" wide rear with the 40-42 offsets....I can pretty much guarantee you that the edge of that tire sits right at or near the edge of the fender but not outside of it.
    R.I.P. Charlie

"Any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious." - Vince Lombardi

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=r33pwrd;200913]
    IRear Wheels

8" 48 Stock is +48 (18" & 19")
    8.5" 42
    9.5" 35-57 Majority are 42-45
    10" 40-55 Majority are 45
    10.5" 46-47 50 seen now too.
    11" 54

QUOTE]

So does anyone have a 10" wheel with a 40-42mm offset they can send me a picture of? I am worried the wheels would stick to far out in the rear.

OK, so I spent the last 90 minutes looking through the threads and found a good example of a 20x10" rear wheel with a +40 offset. Thread is on the other forum but you can go to wheeldude.com, search by wheel brand, Linea Corse, Z20, First one in Dark Gunmetal has a 10" rear +40. Click on that and you'll see pictures of the white G8 with these wheels. "cobrakiller" is the car owner.

I'll see if I can find any others.
    R.I.P. Charlie

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=SpeedRacerX;201057]

OK, so I spent the last 90 minutes looking through the threads and found a good example of a 20x10" rear wheel with a +40 offset. Thread is on the other forum but you can go to wheeldude.com, search by wheel brand, Linea Corse, Z20, First one in Dark Gunmetal has a 10" rear +40. Click on that and you'll see pictures of the white G8 with these wheels. "cobrakiller" is the car owner.

I'll see if I can find any others.

That does not look bad to me at all! The wheel I was / am thinking about is a 43mm plus If its an issue Im sure I can have another 2-4mm machines off the backplate

Thanks for you help man!
    2009 G8