Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 09-03-08-008: Knock Clunk Or Click Noise From Front Suspension Over Small Bumps (Rep

Post Thanks / Like

My front LCD is done so is the shock strut..NYC potholes any one recommnded a good dealer around the area?? I got 11k miles and the extended warranty
    2008 G8 GT
    Birth-9-19-08
    Death-3-20-12-Accident

My Baby is Gone

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in NYC
    2008 G8 GT
    Birth-9-19-08
    Death-3-20-12-Accident

My Baby is Gone

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered the set of 4 LCAs from Greg. Lots of good info in this thread, but it mostly pertains to getting the Dealer to do the work. Has anyone attempted this repair on their own, and if so, were you able to accomplish it without the special tools that were listed in Wicked Mom's post?

Thanks,

JayJ

Post Thanks / Like

PM "Monty" - I think he did 1 or 2 of his own and had a nice tool to pop the ball joint out.
    R.I.P. Charlie

"Any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious." - Vince Lombardi

2009 G8 GT, MSM/Onyx, Prem, Mods: few......Dozen

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks SpeedRacerX: I did send Monty a PM; looks like this is pretty straightforward and easy to do with the proper tools. Will post after accomplished...

JayJ

Post Thanks / Like

I have yet to do the LCA replacement on my GXP, but a tool like this ball joint separator has worked for me in the past w/ball joints on other cars:
    image_12294.jpg

From http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-qua...tor-99849.html

If the boot of the ball joint is already torn or if you don't care if you tear it, you could use a pickle-fork; it's a bit more brutal than the separator above.
    image_18334.jpg

Auto parts store probably has these for loan/rent too.
    "If the car feels like it is on rails, you are probably driving too slow." -Ross Bentley

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks toedrag: Due to time constraints and too many projects (like getting the wife's Turbo Buick running) I decided to take Greg's kit to a local shop. Said they would do it for $85/side. I do appreciate your input though, and will probably pick up that separator from HF!

Jay J

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the latest: I took the car to a local shop; they installed Gregs' Lower Control Arm Kit. The car is once more a joy to drive. As someone previously posted, it is amazing what you can get used to/put up with when it happens over time. Thanks to Wicked Mom, Greg, SpeedRacerX, Monty and toedrag for their info and encouragement!

Jay J