Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Sunroof Panel Rattle Relief

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Sunroof Panel Rattle Relief

The panel mounted on the roof was vibrating with my music. Here is the fix.

Take a small flat head screwdriver and insert into the slot on the sunroof control panel.

Twist the driver as if unscrewing and the panel will open and you can gently pull it out.

Once off, place a piece of foam (2" square or rectangle cube) up under where the panel goes back.

Don't press the foam in, as you want the foam to be between the panel and roof.

Gently press the main clip inwards when closing.

Once about a 1/4 inch closed, it should snap back in place.

Rattle Resolved
    Trigger
    My Fully Loaded 08 Stealth Blue Pontiac G8 GT

There's always someone faster,
    they just don't look as good lol
    Rotofab/Cortex/BMR/Pedders/VMR/Adams/Brakes/OBX/Nitto

PRAISE THE LOWERED

Post Thanks / Like

Holy shit!! I LOVE YOU!! This has been my biggest complaint since I got my g8 is that damn annoying rattle definently going to tackle this when I have the chance.

[check out my cardomain]
    .vararam. .GXP front end. .Show & Go. .Faster Proms Stage 1 Intake & TB. .BMR Strut Brace.

i MY PONTiAC!

Post Thanks / Like

GM sunroofs are the pits. After working in a dealership for almost 4 years, one thing I learned is stay away from their sunroofs, if you have any notion to keep the car for a long time.
    With that being said, good job! Glad to see you were able to find something to make it better. Definitely beats having some tech start tearing apart your car.
    G8 GXP 6M PBM Onyx/Red
    Corsa Cat-back
    Volant CAI, thanks to Greg@PacePerformance.com
    2011- C6 Vert 6M, Cyber Grey
    Corsa Extreme axle back

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPEGXP View Post
    GM sunroofs are the pits. After working in a dealership for almost 4 years, one thing I learned is stay away from their sunroofs, if you have any notion to keep the car for a long time.
    With that being said, good job! Glad to see you were able to find something to make it better. Definitely beats having some tech start tearing apart your car.

Oh no.... how BAD are the sunroofs? lol I was going to go to the dealership about this but I didnt want them ripping my car apart so Ive just been dealing with it... thank god for foam hahah

[check out my cardomain]
    .vararam. .GXP front end. .Show & Go. .Faster Proms Stage 1 Intake & TB. .BMR Strut Brace.

i MY PONTiAC!

Post Thanks / Like

Well I really didn't see any issues so bad with our cars. However, GMC Acadia Sunroof = watered leaks. G6 Panoramic roof, almost guaranteed to fail, but never did on my G6. Even my owner said it, they just can't make sunroofs. His wifes truck which was a 10 year old GM roof started leaking. He has been involved with GM for over 30 years, and stated that their sunroofs just don't last the test of time. Pisses me off though, my 89' Accord, sunroof still works flawlessly to this day.
    The OP definitely has the right idea tackling this issue on his own instead of leaving it up to a dealership.
    G8 GXP 6M PBM Onyx/Red
    Corsa Cat-back
    Volant CAI, thanks to Greg@PacePerformance.com
    2011- C6 Vert 6M, Cyber Grey
    Corsa Extreme axle back

6. Thanks -Ray- thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

watch the right side, the threads are exposed and the foam could get into the threads and soak up the grease that is existing on them...
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT - Stryker Blue, Sport, Premium, Sunroof, Bluetooth
    1995 Pontiac Trans Am, LT1, LT, CAI, Tune, Borla/cut-outs, port/polish, .012 shaved off heads, 2500 stall, shift kit- 12.89 1/4mi spinning through 1st and 2nd...totaled by a body shop (currently in court)
    1973 Dodge Charger SE...need I say more?
    2000 Chevy Silverado x-cab, 4x4, 5.3L

Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant! I had complained of the same thing and thankfully my dealer replaced the whole panel under warranty. I shoulda tried this first!
    579rwhp 2009 G8 SOLD
    2009.5 PBM A6/Sun GXP, 1 of 129 SOLD
    Pontiac Proud

Post Thanks / Like

Funny.. browsing old posts ran across this. I had a small piece of thick "paper" stuck in mine to stop a rattle for I don't know probably 3+ years.. until my kid noticed it, OCD'd over it and had me remove it. I should try this! Many good answers on here!
    '09 White Hot GT, Premium, Sunroof - SOLD May 2021

Holden leather armrest, rear ashtray/cig lighter, Homelink, Auto dimming rearview mirror, Atari gauges by SAS & GTPprix, glove box light, LCD interior lights, GXP diffuser, 6.0 litre badges, painted calipers, BMR subframe connectors & drive shaft tunnel brace, Polk DB651 & DB6501 component speakers, Factory bluetooth, BMR x-member bushings, Corsa, many dealer installed mods (ie Fixes ). Waiting to install: Nothing.. I need to find the credit card!