Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 78/75 turbo build

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gatorayde View Post
    Thanks, and that's awesome, what school/programs are you looking at? Is this your first time dabbling in machining?

Im on the opposite side of the valley but Ive also been looking around for a good CAM/CNC course. I program long hand right now, but Im really itching to get into Fusion or Mastercam.
    The school that I am looking at is Gateway Community College. Production Technology. CAD,CAM,CNC and 3D printing. I have no real experience with machinery,however I do know what a caliper is. Not very good at reading them,but do have a basic knowledge of them. Ray would measure our parts lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2009 Karma Metallic G8 GT The best gift you can give to someone is your time,because you're giving them something that you can never get back

2. Likes -Ray- liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

An inch is 25.4mm. ;-)
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Lol I was kind of joking Ray, but I really appreciate the offer. I'll let you know if I end up needing a pair.

That's awesome Travis, definitely keep me posted on that cnc program if you end up taking it. Feel free to shoot me any questions about the industry btw.

Made some more chips today and got the mounts done. Yellow poly wasn't my choice, it was the only color I could find in 90A that wasn't astronomically expensive for some reason.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a small contracer that I took in a trade in trade up deal. I'm going to use it to keep my mind sharp with the software. It really helps with trigging out angles too.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gatorayde View Post

That's awesome Travis, definitely keep me posted on that cnc program if you end up taking it. Feel free to shoot me any questions about the industry btw.

]
    I will keep in touch. The class starts in August. I will know next week if I can make it to that class

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2009 Karma Metallic G8 GT The best gift you can give to someone is your time,because you're giving them something that you can never get back

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by -Ray- View Post
    I have a small contracer that I took in a trade in trade up deal. I'm going to use it to keep my mind sharp with the software. It really helps with trigging out angles too.
    I had to look that up, that's an amazing tool actually. I've always been curious how to measure odd curves/surfaces accurately like that.

It's been ~110 degrees here so progress has really slowed down. Its finally under 100 this weekend so I'm hustling to get this thing driveable. With this heat, it won't be driven hard much considering IAT's will be ~120 and probably ~170 under boost. I might invest in a good 4" intercooler eventually, just to keep IAT's under control in 100+ degree weather.

I finally got the rad installed. I had to heat/bend the piss out of the lower inlet tube, I really find it hard to believe this isn't a manufacturing defect, and Cold Case's response of "just cut the K member" made me laugh. The black line is where it originally was for reference.

So I finally go to install it, and the fucking fan mounts are welded on way off, I could move the fan 1/2" in all directions (yes, side to side and in/out). The plastic locking tabs were no where near close to locking, and the fan just falls right out. I had some 1/4" high temp rubber laying around so I shimmed it up. I can't believe all the issues with this thing, and how Cold Case blamed UPS for the dent. Really unhappy with Cold Case and their response, but Im past that, as long as it doesn't leak or crack now.

Rubber shims on the upper and lower fan shroud tabs

And I got the motor mounts in finally.

Post Thanks / Like

Time to get a stock radiator and post this crappy rad in review forum. People need to know this.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for letting us know about the multiple radiator fitment issues. They shouldn't be selling it like that.
    08 G8 GT: MagnaCharger TVS MP1900 10psi, LS9 cam, 72# injectors, Roto-Fab CAI, SLP Headers, Corsa Catback, etc.
    My Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by -Ray- View Post
    Time to get a stock radiator and post this crappy rad in review forum. People need to know this.
    I would've honestly if I knew all of the issues with this rad before I modified it to fit. Im SOL now unless Cold Case gets back to me and offers a refund or a replacement. Will be posting one shortly.

Speaking of the radiator, it keeps getting better. My old engine cover I cut when I had a rotofab doesn't fit anymore with the new rad. The filler neck is about 1" off diagonally, it's no where near being close. On top of that as well the passenger trans fitting leaks. This is unreal

But on a positive note, it runs again and the only leak is from the trans fitting on the rad and a minor coolant drip, that Im hoping is just residual from spilling coolant on the frame. Im really hoping its not from the lower rad hose being oval'ed out when I bent it.

I had a pin-hole leak in the charge pipe I welded up, and went ahead and smoothed out the booger welds and paint matched it while it was off.

Post Thanks / Like

Turns out the lower coolant hose is leaking slightly, it must have just slightly oval-ed from having to bend it. I emailed cold case asking about a refund/exchange, Ill see what they say. If I can send this back Im ordering an OEM rad. If they can guarantee the lower neck is welded on ~1" higher, Ill exchange it. Thankfully it's summer, and I can wait a few weeks to decide what I want to do with this rad while it sits in the shop.

I did get the power steering hose extended past the turbo this week. The feed line from the reservoir was literally 1/8" from the turbo housing. I didn't feel comfortable with it so I welded on a 2" stainless steel extension to get any rubber away from the turbo heat. Its just a gravity fed line, but I still didn't like how close it was and the possibility of it melting and potentially leaking ATF right near the downpipe/turbo.

Short term plans the next couple of months are to upgrade to a 4" intercooler, and install a dedicated trans cooler. Going to bypass the radiator and put one with a dedicated fan either where the passenger exhaust used to be under the car, or run it all the way back and mount it to the bottom of the spare tire well. Just trying to get some heat out of the engine bay, and get as much fresh airflow as possible to the FMIC. Also going to re-make an engine cover now that the radiator inlet is way off.

Im also mulling over a tr6060 swap eventually. I miss shifting gears, and this thing will probably never see a track. When this 6l80 roasts the 3-5-R clutch pack, Im torn between a 4l80 and 6060. Hopefully that's a few years down the road though. Im not a fan of high HP 6l80 builds.
    Last edited by gatorayde; 06-17-2017 at 11:45 AM.