Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Tuning with HP Tuners - Is really that complicated?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tuning with HP Tuners - Is really that complicated?

Doing some research on tunning options and am thinking about taking the plunge into doing it myself. My question is, how complicated is it with HP Tuners and how easy is it to really screw something up?
    09 Stryker Blue GT Premium/Sport
    08 Panther Black GT - SOLD

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends on your mod level. Bolt ons, easy. Cam, gets more involved. FI (big power) plus want the tranny to live it gets hard. If you take the plunge make changes slowly and look at logs. I started out letting others tune, did it myself for awhile, and then turned it over to a pro when I started pushing it hard.

Rotohack 102 intake - 102 MAF - TPIS 102 TB - TVS1900 ported & plated w 8 rib 2.5" front + OD rear
    PnP Interchiller - RCR ported heads - RCR Lunati 219/231 113+1 - Forged Bottom End
    ARH 2" LT headers - Solo 3" CB - MT DRs + M&H FRs on Weld RT-S
    CTS-V fuel w Vaporworx - FAST 85s - Alkycontrol meth M15 + M10 - RCR tune
    9.75@139.2 ? rwhp ? rwtq

Post Thanks / Like

I leave mine to a pro. Waaaay to complicated for this old man.
    things are not what they appear to be.....

2009.5 Liquid Red,Onyx Red, Premium Package, e85 Surprise Package

Post Thanks / Like

Try HP tuner forum for help

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2009 Karma Metallic G8 GT The best gift you can give to someone is your time,because you're giving them something that you can never get back

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by travis gore View Post
    Try HP tuner forum for help

I was on there last night and my mind was blown. Pretty sure I could get the initial tune done, but my future plans would be over my head. I'll take it to CMS in the next town over and leave it to a pro.
    09 Stryker Blue GT Premium/Sport
    08 Panther Black GT - SOLD

6. Likes STL_G8GT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That is what I would do :-)

2009 Karma Metallic G8 GT The best gift you can give to someone is your time,because you're giving them something that you can never get back

Post Thanks / Like

Its not hard once you learn the individual OS/vehicle, but there's a very steep learning curve to it. A dyno or track is essential for getting the most power out of it as well. HPT forum has a wealth of knowledge, EFIlive is helpful as well. Greg banish makes a great video series on tuning (he is/was a GM engineer) but it's pretty pricey. If you have the money you can't go wrong with HPT Pro, the greg banish series, and learn as much as possible about tuning the 6l80 trans before messing with it. The g8 boards have some good info as well.

The biggest issue is the trans tune, which is extremely crutial to tune correctly. It's not a 4l80 where you can remove TM, add some pressure, and call it good.

I would go with rick crawford, or a well known LS tuner around you that knows how to properly tune a 6l80. There's so many tooners these days its not even funny (see the G-Force thread on CTSV board).

9. Likes -Ray- liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very steep learning curve, tons of tables. Expect to spend 100+ hours before you get the hang of it. It took me probably 30-40 hours of logging and tuning just to get my cam to idle exactly how I wanted (I am a perfectionist though). Most people just add air and some spark and call it good, but I wanted mine to drive as close to stock as possible (not easy).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gatorayde View Post
    Its not hard once you learn the individual OS/vehicle, but there's a very steep learning curve to it. A dyno or track is essential for getting the most power out of it as well. HPT forum has a wealth of knowledge, EFIlive is helpful as well. Greg banish makes a great video series on tuning (he is/was a GM engineer) but it's pretty pricey. If you have the money you can't go wrong with HPT Pro, the greg banish series, and learn as much as possible about tuning the 6l80 trans before messing with it. The g8 boards have some good info as well.

The biggest issue is the trans tune, which is extremely crutial to tune correctly. It's not a 4l80 where you can remove TM, add some pressure, and call it good.
    I would go with rick crawford, or a well known LS tuner around you that knows how to properly tune a 6l80. There's so many tooners these days its not even funny (see the G-Force thread on CTSV board).

Good advice, I'm also looking to learn more about the tuning process. On HP tuners web site they have a
    "The Tuning School Tuning the Right Way Manual and CD - $499" Is this worth buying? I've moved away from the VMS email tunes to HP.