Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Carbon Fiber GXP Front Fascia Finished! NO BS no pipe dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the problem is I cut on the crease instead of above it. The secomd one I cut higher up and it works as his did.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time with this entire process. Even removing the OEM piece from the bumper seems to have been challenging for you. For me, this was quite easy and I actually had a good time with it. Like most modifications and DIY projects, it's mostly about understanding what you're doing, taking your time, and sometimes offering up the car gods a little bit of blood/skin. The OEM grill can be bought for about $60. Go to your local dealership and pick one up. Take your time with removing the grills and don't worry too much about the cut itself. After removing them, I lighty went over the jagged edge with a dremel tool to smooth it out. However, the smooth edge is what matters more and will ultimately be facing forward (you'll be swapping the pieces to their opposite sides). Use small amounts of glue along the crease/edge and mate it to the CF piece from the back to front. Take your time with the glue and be neat (use tape if necessary to keep the CF clean)... This is such a nice piece, don't let this DIY part of the process overly frustrate you.
    SOLD 2009 Panther Black G8 GXP #112 - M6
    Scheming on my LSX Sequel...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jxhopper View Post
    I wish I had known you have to cut up stock piece for this piece to work.
    just want to be clear that this peice was made only as the insert and it was not mandtory to have you put the OE hex grills in it for it to be installed in the car.

that it was something that WhiteDeathLSX decided to do on his own and given, it looks very nice. like he said it was his own DYI

sorry i had no idea people would want to do that. given it does look nicer with that hex peice in it but again, the peice does works as it should. i can't control what people do to modified it. i know there is someone getting a billet hex version to work with it and that is his own idea. but again that is that guys choice to do it.

now i could modified it to work however i have so much time in this part and it being one of he hardest parts i have made i really don't think it is worth it for me to do another mold of this for about less then .05% of 1400 cars.

i think with what WhiteDeath did is something that he is very good at doing when it comes to detail. so while he may think it is cake it may not be to others. IMO i think it's cake. but then again i think changing oil is cake too but about 90% of the world don't change their own oil.

i hope it works out for you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick Man View Post
    just want to be clear that this peice was made only as the insert and it was not mandtory to have you put the OE hex grills in it for it to be installed in the car.

that it was something that WhiteDeathLSX decided to do on his own and given, it looks very nice. like he said it was his own DYI

sorry i had no idea people would want to do that. given it does look nicer with that hex peice in it but again, the peice does works as it should. i can't control what people do to modified it. i know there is someone getting a billet hex version to work with it and that is his own idea. but again that is that guys choice to do it.

now i could modified it to work however i have so much time in this part and it being one of he hardest parts i have made i really don't think it is worth it for me to do another mold of this for about less then .05% of 1400 cars.

i think with what WhiteDeath did is something that he is very good at doing when it comes to detail. so while he may think it is cake it may not be to others. IMO i think it's cake. but then again i think changing oil is cake too but about 90% of the world don't change their own oil.

i hope it works out for you!
    It will work great. I already put the deposit down on the grills as well. This part is incredible. I just did not read through the thread to figure out I needed to modify to get the hex grill to work. Then when I did, I cut in the wrong place. I'm still very glad I bought the piece. It is money! Thanks for continuing to make these awesome parts. I hope you will continue. I plan on buying other parts as you make them!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteDeathLSX View Post
    I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time with this entire process. Even removing the OEM piece from the bumper seems to have been challenging for you. For me, this was quite easy and I actually had a good time with it. Like most modifications and DIY projects, it's mostly about understanding what you're doing, taking your time, and sometimes offering up the car gods a little bit of blood/skin. The OEM grill can be bought for about $60. Go to your local dealership and pick one up. Take your time with removing the grills and don't worry too much about the cut itself. After removing them, I lighty went over the jagged edge with a dremel tool to smooth it out. However, the smooth edge is what matters more and will ultimately be facing forward (you'll be swapping the pieces to their opposite sides). Use small amounts of glue along the crease/edge and mate it to the CF piece from the back to front. Take your time with the glue and be neat (use tape if necessary to keep the CF clean)... This is such a nice piece, don't let this DIY part of the process overly frustrate you.
    I'm not. THis is just a case of me wanting to get it on the car so fast that I made the cut in haste. That will teach me. I did feel really guilty cutting up a perfectly good factory insert. I felt double stupid messing up the cut. There was nothing really difficult about it. I did finally get the factory insert off (I used thin shop gloves). I was just concerned about breaking something. Once I started in the corner, it did come out by moving along the outside. Thanks for the instructions!

I did manage to break one of the loops, but this particular loop was very thin. I think it may have been broken when I had the fascia replaced when the car was delivered due to minor damage.

Don't get me wrong, I am very happy with the part. I can't wait to get the grills and get this on. I'm sure it will look incredible on the PBM.

Thanks guys!