Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Torque Converter Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Torque Converter Question

I'm trying to understand Torque converters a little bit better. I know all about the benefits of a looser converter as far as the 60 ft times and going from a dead stop dig. Is that all its really good for though? Does it do anything for the car for say a rolling street race in manual mode? When the car shifts, does a looser stall allow it to drop to a higher RPM then say a tighter converter, or is that just in the tune? These may be dumb questions, but I dont know the answer to them ha. Thanks for your help

Jon
    2008 NA G8 GT

1/4 mile = 10.93 @ 123
    60' = 1.47
    DA = 500

Naturally Aspirated-230/242 Cam-.030 Milled Heads-Valve Job-New Era Performance ECM/TCM tune-New Era Performance Ported Throttle Body-Vararam CAI-Rick Crawford Modified Intake Manifold-VMS HSRK-UD Pulley-MSD Plugs-4" MAF-Ram Air Plate-Circle D Triple Disk 4000-4200 245mm Converter-3.45 gears-1 7/8 American Racing Headers-Magnaflow mid muffler-SLP Lowering Springs in Rear-M&H Skinnies-Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials 295/45/17-Dark Star Rims

- ARANGO AUTOMOTIVE & TOWING SERVICES, WEBSTER NY

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it's a dumb question! Waiting to hear!

I always wondered if a higher stall translates to less HP and TQ reading on the dyno and does lower rear gearing skew the numbers as well?

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

I am pretty positive that it does lower the hp/tq readings on a dyno. I don't believe that it touches the gearing though. Hopefully our answers will get answered
    2008 NA G8 GT

1/4 mile = 10.93 @ 123
    60' = 1.47
    DA = 500

Naturally Aspirated-230/242 Cam-.030 Milled Heads-Valve Job-New Era Performance ECM/TCM tune-New Era Performance Ported Throttle Body-Vararam CAI-Rick Crawford Modified Intake Manifold-VMS HSRK-UD Pulley-MSD Plugs-4" MAF-Ram Air Plate-Circle D Triple Disk 4000-4200 245mm Converter-3.45 gears-1 7/8 American Racing Headers-Magnaflow mid muffler-SLP Lowering Springs in Rear-M&H Skinnies-Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials 295/45/17-Dark Star Rims

4. Likes Chewy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Torque Converter Question

When you have a higher stall, when the trans shifts it will be at a higher rpm in the next gear.
    On a dyno it's like a multiplier. When you floor it you get that instant peak that's not true torque. An experienced dyno operator will eliminate that peak.
    Higher gearing may need to dyno at a different gear to try and maintain the 1 to 1 ratio.
    Racing from a roll a torque converter is better than stock one.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

6. Thanks Chewy, STL_G8GT, JonnyG2132 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The dyno operator that did my car did it in 4th...

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
    The dyno operator that did my car did it in 4th...
    Ya, they usually dyno in 3rd or 4th
    2008 NA G8 GT

1/4 mile = 10.93 @ 123
    60' = 1.47
    DA = 500

Post Thanks / Like

If you have the stock 2.92 you will dyno in 3rd.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm 3.45... So 4th makes sense!