Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Out with the 6L80, in with the 6L90!

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope that fuel system is enough!
    doesn't seem to be in ctsv's but who knows

goodluck.
    also answered your intercooler question in your other thread.

If you remove the crash bar from the front, you can go thicker than 3in. as far as wider and or taller, might have to start making some modifications to the radiator support. but you are going to need all you can get
    2008 G8 GT
    TSP Forged LS3- D1-221/232 RCR Cam-Ported L92's-Yank2800 Triple Disc-Squash-ID850-Coolingmist Meth Injection-Demon8 Designs-Aerofoce-BMR-BC Racing-Brembos-Kooks-Solo 3in-Derale atomic super cooler-ace performance built 6l80
    Rick Crawford Tuned
    663/596 Rwhp rwtq for now....
    10.87 at 133 1.59 60ft

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thebeast View Post
    I hope that fuel system is enough!
    doesn't seem to be in ctsv's but who knows

goodluck.
    also answered your intercooler question in your other thread.

If you remove the crash bar from the front, you can go thicker than 3in. as far as wider and or taller, might have to start making some modifications to the radiator support. but you are going to need all you can get
    Thanks man I appreciate it!

I'm going to run a BAP through the controller. Vaporworx told me explicitly not to exceed 17 volts, and that they have made CTS-V' s make over 1000whp with a little left on the table with that setup which is perfect for me.

I'll go look at the other thread.

Thanks once again!
    Robbie- Owner/Operator RHX Tuning Fundamentals.

Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. AiR Research 98mm turbo, Nitrous, LME 427LSX, 1307AWHP street demon. (Still chasing the 1500 mark)

PBM G8- Slow Australian four door, twin turbo build/6L90E trans swap under way.

PB 2011 CTS-V Coupe- Sleepy Caddy, 632WHP motor/906 spray.

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

Post Thanks / Like

How about a little fuel math?

Change the 0.55BSFC to 0.6 makes the BHP @ 60psi/15.7v = 1025hp at the piston.

Subtract 125hp for the supercharger = 900FWHP.

Up the voltage to 17.5. For CTS-V 1v=14% performance improvement. 900FWHP * 1.28 = 1150FWHP

The CTS-V may tend to bleed off pressure through the safety valve above 63psi. Note the large decrease in pump output from 60-65psi vs. the change from 55-60psi.

17.5v will work fine for the controller, but no way will it handle anything more than that without permanent incurable damage to the controller. Limiting the amount of voltage is good for all the components involved since having excessive fueling capabilities makes zero additional horsepower. Here's how to tune the BAP to best match the engine (in a safe, legal manner of course.)

1) Start off with the BAP set to 17.0v. Use the BAP Hobb's switch to turn on the voltage increase at the appropriate time (4psi is usually a good starting point.) Do not feed the system excessive voltage when it is not needed. It's hard on all components.

2) Attach a digital voltmeter to the BAT + and FUEL + terminals of the VaporWorx controller. Start the car. At idle the voltage should be around 6.5v.

3) Note that under heavier engine demand the voltage decreases. This is normal as more "average" voltage is being sent to the fuel module.

4) Watch the voltage at maximum engine power. The point where the controller is providing maximum ouput is when the voltmeter reads 0.2v. In reality it can be as low as 0.16v but 0.2v is safe. If the engine is not yet at maximum power at 0.2v then the fuel system is max'ed out.

5) If the engine reaches maximum power before 0.2v, note what the voltage is at that point. If it's 2.3v, reduce the BAP voltage from 17v to 15.5v. Rinse and repeat until there is 0.75 - 1v on the voltmeter.

Using the above procedure will help provide enough fuel to feed the monster plus a safety margin while maximizing component life.
    Last edited by Carl@Vaporworx; 06-11-2014 at 10:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

You get a like for that great post Carl
    888-748-4655
    All Prices in posts are subject to change at anytime.
    Check us out at www.PacePerformance.com

2009.5 Liquid Red G8 GT
    2009 MSM Supercharged G8 GXP M6 - 11.51 @ 126.09
    586rwhp/495tq

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Greg!

Post Thanks / Like

Is the 90 in yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carl@Vaporworx View Post
    Thank you Greg!
    Damn Carl thanks! I appreciate that very much!

Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. AiR Research 98mm turbo, Nitrous, LME 427LSX, 1307AWHP street demon. (Still chasing the 1500 mark)

Post Thanks / Like

So I have great news guys. Just about every component is here besides turbos and intercooler. My converter arrived from Chris at Circle D. I installed it in the transmission last night and now that I have both the 6L90E and 80E sitting side by side I'm taking measurements for the crossmember. I heard a vicious rumor that the CTS-V, and ZL1 Camaro share the same crossmember and that the SS Camaro and G8 also share the same crossmember. If so that means I'd be able to order up a ZL1 crossmember and have it bolt right in. If not I will go ahead and fabricate one. Then I'll begin trial fitting the transmission.

Also I got tired of messing with the trans and while I still have the engine in the car I decided to trial fit the new valvecovers from Hamburger performance and mount my catch can.
    20140614_211802.jpg
    Last edited by IDRIVEAG8GT; 06-15-2014 at 02:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IDRIVEAG8GT View Post
    Damn Carl thanks! I appreciate that very much!
    I'm glad to help. Please keep us up to date on how it works for you.

Post Thanks / Like

I need some updates on this!!
    Oh and I'm originally from Roswell and was just there around last June in my IOM G8. I didn't see any other G8s from Roswell to Artesia, and back to Las cruces while I was there. I'll be there again at the beginning of this July so I'll have to look up the shop.